Thursday, July 28, 2005

Poor Sportsmanship DEFINED

Let me start by saying that the following is not based on bias. My 13 year old son Edward has umped close to 20 games this season for Whitman, and has never had a complaint filed against him, nor had coaches or parents from visiting teams rudely question his calls. He has close calls, like any umpire does, be it the majors, minors or little league; that being said, of course some of his calls have come into question by both the Whitman team, and others. It's the nature of the beast, and is taken as such, and games have progressedafterwards without incident.
Until this evening. Good sportsmanship, and plain straight decency were completely trampled on by the Randolph 10B All Stars, more specifically the coaches and parents. What was witnessed at this game was appalling; adults loudly and rudely jawing at the ump, questioning pretty much every single call, yelling and snickering after called outs and strikes, going at it with the Whitman coaches and aiming the most disgusting of behaviour at a 13 year old kid, who was just doing his job. I cringe to think of how the worst of the Randolph adults in attendance tonight react behind the wheel of a car; it's a scary thought. I was even stared down by one of the Randolph 'ladies' (and I use the term VERY loosely) as she was leaving the Conley School parking lot, as if daring me to go at it with her. In fact,after the game had to be called in the fourth because of Randolph, I walked over to console my son, and two women in particular were still mouthing off. I then started towards the pitcher's mound, ( not a good move, I know, but I DID stop there) and the same two 'ladies' starting giving me grief, gesturing for me to come on over, and go at it, have a go... who knows. Instinct was telling me to defend my kid with all I had, but better sense and judgement told me that winding up arrested for disorderly conduct or assault was not worth it, and more importantly, NOT what I wanted to teach the kids there. So I turned and went back; I figured that the kids from BOTH teams witnessed enough poor behaviour to last a lifetime, that they didn't need to see any more garbage coming from adults. Actually I feel sorry for the kids on the Randolph team. If this is the way that those adults and coaches act at every game, especially games where they are losing, then they are really screwing those kids up royally. You hear about this kind of stuff going on far too often, but it never really sinks in as to how bad it is until you have to witness it yourself. I am still so angry and disturbed, but I figured blogging was a better outlet, and hey, when I get up and face myself in the mirror tomorrow morning, I will be secure in the knowledge that I , my son, and the Whitman team and fans took the high road.
Lastly, thanks to all who were there for my son; you were great, and we both so appreciate the support and caring.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

That's just pitiful. How can parents blame tv and video games for violence and bad behaviour when they are the first bad example?

Good for you for sucking up your anger and walking the other way. The high road is seldom the easiest road.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Thanks , Peggy and Jack. =)

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home