Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Traditions

It's so cool to see traditions forming with my kids, and the way they embrace them, even without knowing that they are doing so.

Take the town pool, for instance. I took swimming lessons there, and all three of my kids have completed their lessons there, as well. My youngest, Christine Noel, has been on the swim team for the last three years, and loves it.I am hoping that she will go on to lifeguard there as well, as she really is a very good swimmer, and is such a fish! We buy the $25.- family pool pass every summer at the Town Hall, and she really gets our money's worth out of it! The boys like the pool and go as well, if not as much as she does. No matter how often they do or don't go, they all seem to have a real affection for it, as I do. It was a part of my childhood, and now theirs, too, and that is something that will stay with them for a long time to come, the memories it has created. Who knows, maybe my kids will be taking their kids to swimming lessons in the (hopefully) not too soon future? Time will tell.

Going to Cape Cod for vacation every year since 1992, specifically The EvenTide Motel and Cottages in Wellfleet is a Brewer kids tradition whose meaning I never realised was so strong until this year, when we were unable to go due to a job change for me that prevented a summer vaca from happening. When I told the kids that we wouldn't be able to go, they were crushed, even the oldest, which really floored me! I figured that at 16, he probably wouldn't want to go anyways, would have his own things to do with his friends, etc. It made me feel as if I had let them down, and that fact bummed me out, but on the other hand it made me feel good to know that those family vacations truly mean something, and that they have made a lasting, positive impression on my kids, that family time really isn't so bad, and perhaps even looked forward to. Imagine that!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That shows that you did a great job raising them, keep it up, family is every thing.

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

forgot to mention my kids are 22,20,17, and still ask if they can come. makes me feel good !

9:38 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Still wanting to go at with the parental units at 22? Cool!! And thanks for the compliment =)

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home