Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Glossies

So I have recently started reading magazines again, specifically Figure and InStyle; not sure why those two in particular, as I am hardly a fashion maven, but they have for one reason or another piqued my interest. They are good, light fare, and while I am thoroughly enjoying my current book of choice, a short book break is never a bad thing. I used to be a diehard Yankee magazine fan, but where their propensity for the pretentious was once amusing, now I find it just too annoying, and really, I can be annoyed for free; I don't need to spend $21.00 a year for it!

Which brings me to a question; do you shop for magazines in stores, or get them delivered to your door via subscription? I had that Yankee subscription for, oh, 16 years, and I looked forward to seeing it in my mailbox monthly, and I felt no desire to go out to the store and buy it myself. As I was perusing the pages(or better yet, ADS) in InStyle this evening, I was confronted by no less than 6 subscription cards. After throwing the first five away without bothering to even look at them, I noticed on the 6th one that I could save something like $1.60 off of the newsstand price( there are newsstands around anymore??Where??), and for a few minutes I seriously considered checking off the Bill Me box, and dropping it into the mail. I had the same ponderous moment when I read through the latest issue of Figure; as it is a fairly new mag, and hard to find, I figured,"Hey, why not just get it delivered, and that way I will be assured of always have the latest issue without the hassle of trying to find it?" Would it not be easier to just find that coveted latest amongst the bills and credit card solicitations? Yes, it would be, but it wouldn't be as fun as actually going out to the local bookstore and physically looking for it myself. Because while in the search of what I am looking for, I am forced to notice other publications, and maybe even pick up one or two that are not necessarily geared to me and take a glimpse into another world, if you will. Besides, what is better than spending quality time browsing through a bookstore, drinking in the smell of various forms of virgin reading material( new book smell is good, and no, I'm not weird!),and allowing yourself to slow down and become aware with almost all of the senses? For an escape from the daily grind, head to the nearest bookstore, turn off that internal switch that makes you rush through everything, and let yourself enjoy. I guarantee that once you find the magazine you came in search of, your attention will be turned to the books, and even if you walk out without purchasing one, you will most likely be back for a book in the not too distant future. I am partial to Borders Express in Hanover,formerly know as WaldenBooks; I guess that that name and image was too staid, according to the powers that be known as the people running the show, but thankfully the store has retained the charm that drew me to it in the first place. I don't have a set date to go. I go when the spirit moves me, and I prefer it this way,as so much of my life is time-sensitive and ordered, it's nice to have a small piece of it that isn't.

Even if I pick up one of my two magazines in the less aesthetically pleasing surroundings of the supermarket, at least I am still participating in the act of getting off of my butt and getting out and going. For as much as I love to internet shop, and can greatly appreciate it's convenience, especially where time is concerned, there can't be enough said of the benefits of enjoying things and people and experiences in 3D.

1 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

I love Borders bookstore. Unfortunately it's quite a drive to get there. I usually buy at Barnes and Noble which has no charm at all. It's more like a library.

I recently started looking for magazines targeting 40+ women. You know the kind where all the models are not a size 3?? phooey.
Currently I am reading O, Oprahs magazine. I also found one online called MORE. So far I'm finding a lot more meat in these types vs mags like Cosmopolitan.

Pegy

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home