Monday, August 01, 2005

So what do YOU think?

Today as I was traveling between stores for work, I noticed one of those license plate frames on the car in front of me, and what it said both amused and kind of disturbed me. It said, 'The Internet Makes You Stupid'. I guess I found it amusing because I tend to get amused easily, (especially when tired!), and disturbing that there are people that believe that statement to be true.I do not; there are many reasons why I disagree with this statement, but first and foremost, I disagree with it because the internet cannot make one stupid. It is not a living, breathing entity, and it is powerless until touched by human hands and minds. Nothing can make one stupid, feel stupid, or anything without that person's permission, especially an inanimate object. What was it that Eleanor Roosevelt said, that 'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.'? This is so true, and her quote can be applied to the internet as well. Sure, there are a myriad of ways that one can waste time, and act stupid, immoral or just plain nasty on the internet. But it is that person's choice to spend their internet time that way. No one is making them do it. It's all about persoanl choice, and responsibility. Choose to abuse the internet, then what you will get out of it is what you put into it .
But when used responsibly, the internet is quite an amazing thing, a treasure trove of facts and info; I mean, where else could I possibly read the Sydney Morning Herald,( just TRY getting it home delivered!!) or Google a small part of what I am looking for, and have literally thousands of choices present themselves in a split second? It is indispensible as far as school goes, both for myself and my kids, as there is no better( or quicker) way to find what you are looking for for research papers, ideas for stories and essays, and basic info on the subject you are working on. And, as one thing links to another in the cyber world, you can often pull up info that perhaps doesn't pertain to what you are working on, but it interesting nonetheless and can be saved for later, to either use for another project, or just to enjoy. You can use the internet to help you lose weight, quit smoking( as I did), find help in locating support groups, for accessing maps and directions, SHOPPING( I highly recommend Amazon.com!), finding and/or keeping in touch with friends, banking, bill paying, an outlet to rant and rave of just get all the stuff in your head out(blogging is a blast!)..... the ways that the internet can be a valuable tool in a person's life is almost endless. IF it is used correctly. Again, use it stupidly, then don't expect much in return. Use it constructively and wisely, then of course you can have a ton of fun with it, and reap so many rewards from it in kind.

4 Comments:

Blogger Schroeder said...

Of course it all depends upon what you do on the internet, versus how you might otherwise spend your time.

Reading fiction might be considered an activity that makes a person stupid too, if he could otherwise be engaged studying nuclear physics.

Here's my gripe - using cell phones while driving makes people stupid. My hypothesis is that people have a finite attention span - a finite number of neurons which can be assigned to any particular range of tasks. They're fine as long as all they're doing is driving on down the road. But as soon as that cell phone rings, it's like all of their neurons become reassigned to talking on the cell phone, while they go on driving 40 mph down the highway, forget to use their turn signals, merge into traffic without checking blind spots, etc.

Be careful reading those license plates on the road.

:-)

7:54 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

LOVE your name and pic! And I agree to a point about the cell phone while driving thing, but I am against having them banned.

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree,use it all the time to bank, shop,keep in touch with long distance family and friends. kids school work and of course to play a few games to relax.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Thanks, anonymous! =)

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home