Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Congratulations, Christine!!

The principal of the Duval School, where my daughter Christine attends, recently ran an essay writing contest in order to choose two students who will go to see the Boston Pops rehearse on Friday, Sept. 30...and Christine is one of the winners!! The essay had to state why the student wanted to attend, and why he/she felt that they should be chosen, and she won! I am so proud of my girl; she loves to sing and perform, and this is going to be huge for her, a once in a lifetime(perhaps) thing. The principal, Mrs. Hoeg, Christine and the other winner will be going into town by way of limo( how cool!), and will spend the better part of the day there.
This opportunity was made possible mainly because Mrs. Hoeg is a singer herself( and damn good, I may add!), and was the winner of the Pops talent search earlier this year. Mrs. Hoeg performed with the Pops at the Fourth Espalanade celebration, and I believe (but don't quote me) that she also toured with them a bit this past summer. Please Google her to find out more, and maybe catch a bit of her fab voice!
This is Christine's winning essay, which she did herself, with no help( save for proofreading) by anyone else. Congrats, Christine Noel!!

Why I Want to Go to See the
Boston Pops with Mrs. Hoeg
By Christine Brewer
Dear Mrs.Hoeg,
I know you know why I wrote this letter and why a lot of kids have too; to go with you to see the Boston Pops! I don’t care about riding in a limo or missing school. Why don’t I tell you why I don’t care about riding in a limo and what I do care about?

You know that I am in love with singing; that is why I would love to go to see the Boston Pops with you. That is why whenever we get a school concert I try and get a solo, it is because I love to sing in front of people and to watch people sing. Singing and music are basically my world. Enough about mine let’s talk about yours. You also try and get solos, but replace school concerts with real concerts! Love for singing is something you and me definitely have in common. That’s one reason why I would be so excited to go on this trip with you!

Why don’t we talk about what I could learn now? One thing I could learn is to know what it is like at concert, to see what its like back stage, where the people practice before going on stage, and stuff like that. Also, I could see all of those seats and imagine just how many people there would be to sing in front of! Maybe I could also learn how to sing a bit better. I have been trying to do better, and I hope I can learn something if picked. I could also learn about orchestras, it would be exciting to see where one actually practices and plays. I have never seen one before, and maybe by seeing one, it can help me to play my instrument better in band. The last and most important thing that I could learn is responsibility. What I mean by that is, to learn how to make a commitment to something and not give up on it.
The following are the top reasons why I would love to go with you to see the Boston Pops. Firstly, it is a chance of a lifetime! To see it live, not like on TV, would be something that you only get to do maybe once or twice. Also, I think that you and I would have a great time together, because you are fun and a great singer, too, and it would be great to meet other real singers and musicians as well.
Now I want to talk about my inspiration for singing, which is you. Remember when you didn’t make the Pops the first year that you tried out, but you tried again anyways, you didn’t give up? Remember when I didn’t make The Wizard of Oz; well, I’m not giving up, either! I will try out again next year, and do my best to make it. Did you know that before I heard you sing, no one had really inspired me? Well, it’s true! You are a great singer, and I hope that I grow up to be one, just like you. When I had my first singing recital, I was very nervous, but I thought of all of the people that you had to sing in front of, and that helped to make me feel not so nervous. Everyone clapped when I was done, and that made me feel so happy about how I did, and I felt like I could do anything, and I still feel like I can do anything, as long as I try my best.
This explains why I would love to come with you. Good luck in picking who will go, and I can’t wait to see who will go!
Your Friend,
Christine Brewer






3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

way to go Christine!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Christine says Thanks! She is soooooo psyched!!!

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Christine! Have a great time, we're proud of you!

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home