Sunday, March 05, 2006

Some people really SUCK!!

Mar 5, 2006 7:00 am US/Eastern
Hacker Steals Personal Bank Account Information
(CBS4) If you use a debit card and live in Fitchburg or Leominster, investigators say keep an eye on your account. The Office of Consumer Affairs says a computer hacker stole personal Visa debit card information from about one dozen residents in these cities. The person then used the numbers to make fraudulent transactions in other countries totaling about $2,000.If you find any unauthorized activity, you should report it to you bank and police.
(© MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

~Please, be so careful when conducting transactions with your debit/credit cards!
~Be careful not to let anyone observe you entering your pin #!
~If making a purchase online on an unsecured computer, make sure to log off of the site you purchased from!
~ Shred/rip up all receipts!
~ Call your bank's 800# to check on your account daily!
The last may sound like I am being anal, but at least I know what my balance is( minus outstanding checks), and I know what transacations were made when. Recently, my bank called me to inform me that their system may have been compromised, and that new debit cards needed to be issued. "Cool, I said, do you need to cancel my card now?" No, was the response, you can wait until your new card comes in within 10 days like other people are, but she recommended that I cancel it then and there. I mean, why give anyone more opportunity than they already have?I mean, it would be like being told that there is someone in your neighbourhood breaking into homes, and then deciding to leave your doors unlocked! So cancel it, I did, and yes, it is a pain in the ass not having my money ready at the swipe of a card(I swear, writing checks is soooo awkward!), but if it means that my funds are safe, then trust me, I will survive.
A mutual acquaintance of me and my friend recently had her checking account hacked into by way of her pin#, and though all her money -$50.00 is safe, the worry and hassle that she had to endure was amazing.
So please, please, be smart, be aware, and do all you can to protect what is yours, and yours alone!!! Oh, and the scumbags who hack/steal identities and take what isn't theirs should be severely punished!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home