Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Remember This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhkDBfBTKuw

I know nothing about Golden Earring, have no idea what else they sang,(except for Radar Love) but I LOVE this song and video. And really, it's a pretty damn good video made in, I believe, '81 or '82. Actually, alot of the videos back then were pretty cool(but believe me, not all- check out VH1's classic station to catch some good ones,and some really really crappy ones!) because that was an excellent way for a new band to become known, and hell, MTV was in it's infancy, so it was an excellent combination. Man, that was an exciting time! I mean, Don Kircshner's(sp) Rock Concert would show videos, or StarCase would, but the showing of them was sporadic at best, and I seem to recall that StarCase showed Dire Straits video for SkateAway incessantly ; maybe it was the only one they had? I dunno, but it was such a freakin blast to be 17/18 and be able to watch videos from fave bands and soon to be faves nonstop, lying on the living room floor, feet wiggling and tapping to the beat while tucked under the spindly legs of the old woody television set. It was cool to be at that age where I could really appreciate the shiny newness of MTV, and New Wave, and skinny ties and lots of stripes and spiked hair and safety pins as earrings and the brash boldness of a teenager coming into the fukll bloom of 'her' decade.....Some people dismiss pop culture as a waste of time, vacuous, and not really an integral part of the more important picture, but to that I say, ummm Hello, anybody home??? It all intertwines to create history; can't have history without all of the components, whether they be incredibly seriously important, or as not too terribly important as a Golden eearring video,but way more fun and viable just the same.
~ oh, and being that I am of the female persuasion, another reason for loving this video is that the lead singer was/is incredibly gorgeous, stunning even.

Remember this one??? http://youtube.com/watch?v=JgnJoxh1sT0&search=u2-a%20celebration Holy shit!! I haven't seen this in 24 years, thought I never would again....too friggin' COOL!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home