Monday, May 30, 2005

Memorial Day- 2005

~ South Ave.lined with people waiting to pay their respects to those who have served, kids with flags waving, the high school band marching by in uniforms that are obviously too hot for the day, but they don't seem to mind.
~ the sun FINALLY hitting thankful faces that have impatiently rode out an 18 day rainy streak!
~ the morning dew hitting my bare toes for the first time of the season as I slowly meander my way around the reflecting pond; it is going to be a good day.
~ the beauty of the blackness of the stone that is the memorial to soldiers and POW's that stands a silent vigil, welcoming all who pass by to read, remember, and never forget.
~ the knowledge that patriotism is very much alive and well, and that there should be no shame, nor suggestion of an ulterior motive in loving your country, your flag and those who have protected and continue to protect both. Not all patriotism is false; in fact, I believe most is genuine, and so what if it experiences a resurgence because of a holiday or worse yet, a war? Is it not better to accentuate the positives about the country as well as the negatives, as opposed to ALWAYS focusing on the latter?
~the sound of the salute of guns on the hill in the park as I write this. I am aware of how fortunate I am. Never regret a good reality check.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home