Sunday, April 09, 2006

Would you give a heroine addict a syringe filled with anything but heroine...

and then tell that addict that by 'shooting up' with a safe alternative to heroine that he/she would be able to kick the habit safely? Doesn't make too much sense, does it? I mean, is not part of the addict's problem with quitting the fact that the mere act of shooting up is a habit to break, in and of itself, and a majour part of their addiction? That not only does the heroine addict need to overcome the addictive, deadly properties of the drug , but that he/she needs to completely turn their lives upside down, undo bad habits, and learn new, healthy ones? So if that heroine addict is still performing the act of shooting up, wouldn't it lead one to believe that he/she will have a much, much harder time kicking the habit if they are continually engaging in the one act that delivered the drug to them? I believe the latter to be true, and you can apply that reasoning to cigarette smokers, as well.
I have been quit for almost 6 years now, and honestly, if I had tried to quit by using 'herbal' cigarettes, or any kind of pseudo cigarette, I would still be smoking 2 packs a day today. Why? I enjoyed smoking, enjoyed the feeling of drawing on that cancer stick, and feeling the smoke hit the back of my throat. I enjoyed holding a cigarette; in fact, even after I had been quit for about 2 years, I still found myself, on rare occassions, holding my fingers as if I were holding a cigarette, found myself reaching for that imaginary ashtray, because part of the addiction is the act of doing it and the little nuances, if you will, that go with it. I did not smoke; I was a bit taken aback that after 2 years, I could still find myself going through some of the smoking motions, but I took it for what it was, an ingrained habit dying hard, and I learned form it, and moved on. So you see, if I had been 'smoking' an herbal cigarette, I would have still been smoking, still going through those motions that had helped to feed my addiction. And besides, who ever said that smoking is meant to be exclusively tobacco? If you smoke oregano, pot, grass clippings, lettuce leaves, are you not still smoking?? Don't fool yourselves into thinking that smoking anything other that tobacco is ok, or helpful, because it's not! Let's be serious here; would you go and wrap your mouth around an exhaust pipe? Same thing, in my estimation.
Which brings me to this,http://www.bravosmokes.com/ which is what triggered this posting in the first place. I heard their ad on the radio for the first time last week, and became really angry at the way that this company is misleading the public on their product. They tout how their 'cigarettes' look and draw like a real cigarette, but with none of the harmful stuff found in cigarettes;how can that not be good for you!!? They are, after all, made with real quality lettuce leaves, so that should allay alot of fears, yes? And it should make all of those who are contemplating quitting feel better knowing that they are replacing the deadly habit for a healthier one! Cool, huh?
Not. Smoking is smoking, and if you truly want to quit smoking and all that encompasses the act and art, if you will, of smoking then in my opinion, these Bravo smokes, or anything like them are not the way to go. Don't waste your time, nor your money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home