Sunday, June 26, 2005

Five Years Quit

I haven't smoked a cigarette in FIVE years, an accomplishment that I am so damn proud of!! The following is a 'ramble' that I wrote for this occassion, on the website that helped me to be where I am today, smoke- free and so happy, www.quitnet.com.


Day One tomorrow...From clemrules on 6/24/2000 9:55:09 PMI am quitting so that I can breathe easy. I am quitting for my children. I am quitting so that I don't need an oxygen mask . I am quitting to rid myself of stale cigarette odors. I am quitting for better breath. I am quitting so that I can bring my workouts up to new heights. I am quitting so that I can take the stairs instead of the elevator. I am quitting so that I can save that money for fun things for myself and my family. I am quitting to live. I want this so badly; I am ready. Wish me luck tomorrow. Thanks! Clemrules
Day 1827 tomorrow….
~And I can breathe MUCH easier
~My kids are so proud of me, and ALWAYS remember my anni’s! I hope that my quit and what I went thru to get it keeps them from ever even considering smoking.
~So far, so good on not needing any supplemental O2.~I no longer reek of putrid cigarette smoke, stale or otherwise!
~I am pretty sure that I have better breath..( anyone??)
~The regularity of the workouts ebb and flow, but I still walk faithfully, and can even talk on the phone and walk briskly without gasping for air.
~Yes, when the spirit moves me, I CAN and DO take the stairs.
No, I haven’t saved $13,697.52(unfortunately), BUT..I haven’t spent that huge amount on sickerettes, either.
~Yep, still alive!!
I was ready, more than I ever could have imagined. I found a liberating strength and determination from within that was borne over and over again by first and foremost, ME, and just as importantly, by dear priceless friends made here who were always there for me.
Through the tears
And anger
And laughter
And confusion
And joys and pain,,
And all shared,
Not out of obligation,
But just because,
That’s what friends do.
(with no return receipt required).
What have I learned over these past five years?
I have learned
Love (and how to)
Acceptance
Humility
Patience
Trust (-ing mainly myself)
Confidence
And how to learn, and that always learning is such a cool way to go through life, with eyes and ears open wide, and occasionally, when the time feels right, the heart left more than ajar, as well.
I am overwhelmed on this my five year anni. Whether you all realize it or not, you help to reinforce the strength of my quit every time you wish me well, and I was brought to tears more than once today (but only in the happiest of ways!).
So hey, raise a glass of whatever it is you may be imbibing in at the moment, and let out a big
SLAINTE!!!
to us all, cause hey, are we all wicked good, or what??
Chrissie
5 years, 8 hours, 3 minutes quit
$13,697.52 saved
73,053 cigarettes NOT smoked

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you go girl

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

. . . and go and go and go . . . .

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home