Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Unfettered Pavement..

on Route 18 is what awaited me as I made my way to work on Sunday. The sight of nary a car in front of me was almost as intoxicating as the sky that was a crisp azure, the kind of blue tinged with a yellow so clear that it makes you want to send a whispered Thank You heavenward. It really set the tone for the day, and put me in a better mood than I had left the house with, for Sunday was my birthday, and I was more than knee deep into a small pity party for the fact that I had to work on MY birthday, poor me.... just imagine the injustice of it all!
I have to say that the sight of Route 18( or I should say, the THOUGHT of having to travel 18) never sends my mind into a joyous reverie. For those familiar with the South Shore, you know what I am talking about. For those fortunate souls who have not had the 'pleasure' of the total Route 18 experience, allow me to clarify. Route 18 is a nightmare, or more specifically, the stretch of it that runs from Whitman through to the exits for the highway that are in Weymouth. 18 is too narrow. The businesses that line it have grown and multiplied over the years, creating a most unwelcome congestion. For the record, I am NOT anti- business, and the sight of new business and new jobs is great, but what should be a relatively stress free fifteen minute ride can easily turn into a 25-30 minute trip from hell due to the fact that the narrow road does not accomadate said businesses. And Massachusetts drivers being what we are( yes, we HAVE earned the reputaion as some of the worst drivers in America, myself included), just negatively adds to the 'ambience' of the whole thing. And lastly, if you are from say, Whitman, Abington, or East Bridgewater, you have liitle alternative to 18. Sure, you could take the backroads through Brockton and Holbrook or South Weymouth and Braintree to reach the highway, but those alternatives aren't always better, and sometimes, a stop on 18 on the way to wherever it is you are going to is necessary.So, though I encourage the patronization of the shops and businesses on 18, I will do so with the disclaimer that a good gritting of the teeth before heading out is a must!
So Sunday was an anomoly, to be sure. Open road. Green lights that actually stayed green upon closer inspection. The good feeling of knowing that I was not on as rigid a timetable as I normally am. The warm air that thankfully lacked any trace of humidity. A fresh extra large Dunkin Donuts blueberry iced waiting for me in the cupholder. Dire Straits first cd ( for me, their most relaxing, a perfect soundtrack for the ride) emanating from the car speakers. A much needed, for the moment,reality check from within that produced a satisfied smile.

I sent that whispered Thank You heavenward, and made 18 mine.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is 18 really that bad?

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure that stretch of Route 18 is too narrow? Perhaps it perfectly wide enought but problem is there are too many cars on it... huh?

MJ

5:54 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

TRUST me..it is too narrow.

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally I thnk it sounds lovely . . . . but I guess I am a bit starnge . . . .

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, please, at dark ,,in the winter? Sure you want to take the chance on the potholes?
I thought it was very well put
gpc

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do everything I can to avoid Rt 18. Even if I have to access a business on it I'll get to it a back way if I can.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home